Tag : hedgehog
Tag : hedgehog
I know what you are thinking – I thought this was a new blog about a craft-making-foodie&design-loving-crafty lass – not nature and hedgehogs? Don’t worry – the fabric flowers, Christmas decorations, wedding ideas and cupcake making will be here in future posts! For now, I am just happy that I have found my hedgehog. Well, nearly…
This metaphor comes from the Jim Collins book – “Good to Great” – an inspirational book that I read recently for work (yes, outside of my craft loving, there is a day job!) When the book landed on my desk, I thought – ‘Oh great, just what I need when I am busy – a massive textbook to read’. However, I was soon avidly turning page after page…It is a pretty thought provoking piece of writing that makes you question whether are on the right path forward to drive you from not just being good at what you do, but GREAT. I would highly recommend for absolutely anyone to give this a read – no matter what your age, business or dreams! To really understand just WHY the focus on a hedgehog – perhaps pick up the book and have a read yourself. Hedgehogs are pretty clever little creatures you know.
One of the component parts – is you need to establish just what your hedgehog actually is – to be focused in the right direction, and there are three main sections to this:
1. What can you be the best in the world at?
2. What drives your economic engine?
and 3: What are you deeply passionate about?
1. Now, I don’t believe that I am 100% the best in the world at ALL craft, baking, designing, planning – in fact – I would say I am more in the scenario of a ‘Jack of All Trades – Master of None’ type example – but I am pretty creative, and organised. I think with practice, will, determination and dedication to this blog – I can at least TRY and perhaps, you never know – actually get there. (It’s not very ‘British’ is it – to say ‘YES, I AM THE BEST!”)… ‘Aim for the stars and you will hit the moon’ as my favourite primary school teacher, Mrs Jowett once advised me.
2. At the minute, no – this does not drive my economic engine – hence, the aforementioned day job! However, again, if I spend time on this – perhaps again…it COULD.
3. Lastly and by no mean leastly – it is something I AM 100% DEEPLY PASSIONATE ABOUT. Put me in a room of fabrics, ribbons, paper – you’ve lost me. I can sit for hours cutting out little fabric petals and sewing into flowers. Or rolling sugar-paste into tiny little roses, or making, baking (and of course, eating!) salted caramel cupcakes or designing homemade personalised Christmas crackers for a family party. In fact, when I think about how I feel when absorbed in my latest idea or project – I always think back to the Billy Elliot movie when he is trying to describe how he feels when he dances…
Tutor 1: What does it feel like when you’re dancing?
Billy: Don’t know. Sorta feels good. Sorta stiff and that, but once I get going… then I like, forget everything. And… sorta disappear. Sorta disappear. Like I feel a change in my whole body. And I’ve got this fire in my body. I’m just there. Flyin’ like a bird. Like electricity. Yeah, like electricity.
Well, that’s me – minus the tutu, plus an apron. Just me, with a cuppa (Yorkshire) tea and my latest project.
The aim of this blog is to post inspirational thoughts, design, craft, pictures. To look at seasonal ideas, things I am thinking about, doing, dreaming of… Long term, I would love it to be more than just dreaming and minus the 9-5 day job.
I met a very inspirational person yesterday from Grace Face Boutique at the Milton Keynes Handmade and Vintage fair – her advice was “DON’T QUIT YOUR DAY DREAM”. Wise words indeed.